Sutter Extension Water District (SEWD) was formed by a vote of landowners on April 10, 1950. The farmers in Sutter County, who were at that time under the Sutter-Butte Canal Company distribution system, began carrying out their plan for the formation of SEWD early in 1950. On January 5, 1950, a committee of farmers began circulating a petition asking the Sutter County Board of Supervisors to authorize the formation of the district. On April 10, the Sutter Board of Supervisors conducted a hearing on the formation of the district with over 85 percent of the ownership in the proposed service area in favor of the formation, as represented by signatures on the petition. On December 1, a bond election was held to secure revenue to begin operations of the newly formed district, which included about 19,700 acres. The vote passed and the funds were used to purchase 20% of the Sutter Butte Canal Company’s properties and pre-1914 water rights. SEWD’s service area and distribution system have been expanded over the years following its formation, and the gross service area is currently comprised of approximately 25,500 acres.
The District is represented by a five-member board of directors. Each director is elected for a four-year term by landowners within the district. The board of directors also elects a board president to run the meetings, a vice-president to serve if the board president is unavailable, and a board treasurer. The general manager is principal administrative officer of the district and serves as secretary to the board of directors.
Carl Yank - President
William Schmidl - Vice President
The District’s Board of Directors meet the third Tuesday of each month at 1:00 pm. Agendas are posted at the District 72 hours in advance at the District office, 4525 Franklin Rd., Yuba City, CA 95993.
Files coming soon.